Spring Clean Your Diamonds
When it comes to spring cleaning, we think least of our jewelry, specifically our diamonds. Although cleaning your jewelry may seem like a daunting task, we assure you that it is simpler than dusting or vacuuming, and less intensive too! Here are some tips to keep your jewelry shining bright:
How to Clean Your Diamond Jewelry
- Just Add Soap. In a bowl, mix a bit of gentle dish soap (preferably a natural soap without moisturizers) into a bowl of warm water and swirl around until suds begin to appear.
- Soak for 15 minutes. Place your jewelry in the bowl and let it soak for about 15 minutes. The soap goes into the tiniest of crevices and pulls away the dirt and grime that’s been building up.
- Unless you still see some dirt in your jewelry after you’ve let it soak, you can rinse it in clean water.
- Using a toothbrush, rag or a paper towel (something that can’t scratch your jewelry), gently rub away the dirt, getting into hard-to-reach areas if possible.
- Cool down. After a good cleaning, cool your jewels down in cool water then lay out to dry on a paper towel or clean cloth.
In between these more hands-on cleanings, you can use the overnight method to clean your jewelry:
- Soak the diamond in an ammonia-based household cleaner, like window cleaner, overnight. No more than once or twice per week.
- Remove the diamond from the cleaner in the morning and rub with a soft cloth or toothbrush, then dry to finish.
Although diamonds are one of the toughest and most durable gems on earth, oil from our skin can quickly dull its appearance. Keep your shiniest assets clean and help their brilliance come through with a quick and painless cleaning. How do you keep your jewelry clean?